[Nhcoll-l] Replacing cabinet gaskets

Sublett, Clayton cas100 at SHSU.EDU
Mon Oct 20 10:38:13 EDT 2014

Hi Ann-Eliza,

I recently ran into this issue with our herbarium cabinets.  Tublar polypropylene is probably the best option, but may not fit cabinets that were originally designed with foam gaskets.  Volara is also really good, but I had trouble finding it in anything but large sheets, and adding a self adhesive backing double or tripled the price.  The easiest, most cost-effective option, and the one we are going to use, is weather stripping from a hardware store.  It comes in several widths and thicknesses and is easily installed.  The only problem is that it likely won't be archival quality.  If that's something you are concerned about, I would look into Volara.  If you contact me off list I can give you a little more info.

Best,

Clayton

Clayton Sublett, B.A.
Collection Manager
Sam Houston State University Natural History Collection
Sam Houston State University
Huntsville, TX 77340
csublett at shsu.edu<mailto:csublett at shsu.edu>
Office: (936) 294-4493
Collection: (936) 294-4434
________________________________
From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] on behalf of Ann-Eliza Lewis [lewisan at earlham.edu]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2014 8:50
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Replacing cabinet gaskets

I was wondering whether anyone had recommendations for replacing gaskets on storage cabinets. I have a number of collections storage cabinets from Lane Science with deteriorating gaskets. Lane does not sell replacements.

University Products suggests that their polyethylene foam rods are good for replacing gaskets (http://www.universityproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_list&c=1161), but the sales department there didn't know if anyone who had actually used the product in that way.

So I am looking for suggestions for suppliers and brands of appropriate gaskets as well as suggestions for the best way to attach it.

Thank you!
Ann-Eliza

--
Ann-Eliza Lewis, PhD