[Nhcoll-l] Rehydrating a formalin specimen

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 1 03:51:25 EDT 2015

Hi Mare,

A although I haven’t yet tried the Singer technique for rehydration but (in theory) it should work well.  You might have to try it out first as bracteal cells can be prone to uneven rehydration and might lead to detachments just after the process

The usual preservative for plant materiaL is Copenhagen mixture:
Copenhagen mixture: IMS/ethanol (76), distilled water (18), glycerol (5).  Make sure that this is compounded at least 24 hours before use as the mixture evolves many tiny air bubbles during the mixing!

FAA is used more for plant histology these days and to be used more frequently, as a fixative, back in the 60’s and 70’s but became superseded by Kew mixture later on as the latter is more user friendly.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,
www.natural-history-conservation.com