[Nhcoll-l] E.R Wagner: Insect collector

Mark O'Brien mfobrien at umich.edu
Wed Dec 16 09:28:58 EST 2015

Years ago, Ross Arnett published a directory of insect collectors.  I think
it last came out in the early 1980s.  I'll bet some enterprising person
could find a copy and turn it into a digital resource.    But even then, it
did not include deceased collectors.  In an ideal world, it would be great
to have such things at our fingertips, but it will eventually come along
once most of the collections have their data online.

Mark

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 5:41 PM, Paul J. Morris <mole at morris.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 20:38:00 +0000
> "Shippee, Jodi" <Jodi.Shippee at vermont.gov> wrote:
> > Whenever a question like this comes up I wonder, isn’t there a shared
> > database of collector biographical data?
>
> For botanists, there is the Harvard Index of Botanists, covering
> botanical Authors and botanical collectors:
>

> http://kiki.huh.harvard.edu/databases/botanist_search.php?mode=details&id=176
>
> Symbiota has support for the compilation of agent data pertinent to a
> given Symbiota instance, though the presentation isn't very pretty yet,
> and most Symbiota portals haven't populated these tables yet.  For an
> example see:
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__symbiota4.acis.ufl.edu_scan_portal_agents_agent.php-3Fagentid-3D410-26findobjects-3D1&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6i4on5JE_qaR9OVdKFfhTxhReAK8B74uyhpfTpqYshE&s=ISS0Xa8an3QkS0QR-J6Ex8KQob8TL7xtQD1jy7pW4TI&e=
>
> VIAF, as you mention, is a very good source for information on
> scientists who are also authors.
>
> -Paul
> --
> Paul J. Morris
> Biodiversity Informatics Manager
> Harvard University Herbaria/Museum of Comparative Zoölogy
> mole at morris.net  AA3SD  PGP public key available

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=8I6NRjIODHq4-F6MCF1TP7GAEatRII9Irn8iHojcCt8&s=rZVWQwUur8TzngdWbAiG0uJbB6WQjntSGGifOuZzv-Q&e=  for membership information.

Mark F. O'Brien, Collection Manager

Insect Division, Museum of Zoology

The University of Michigan

1109 Geddes Avenue

Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079

(734)-647-2199

See us on Facebook! https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_museumofzoology&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=8I6NRjIODHq4-F6MCF1TP7GAEatRII9Irn8iHojcCt8&s=LT9AlY_JXKDPlBEAoT8yXJLJau0EcudUs8iX2iga8R4&e=

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__scholar.google.com_citations-3Fuser-3Dl-5FkVoLMAAAAJ&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=8I6NRjIODHq4-F6MCF1TP7GAEatRII9Irn8iHojcCt8&s=fLonDHLyerh7pHGZUbbtbJKo3nwEVGiMVBeIK7AEIdM&e=