[Nhcoll-l] E.R Wagner: Insect collector

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Mon Dec 14 17:41:36 EST 2015

On Mon, 14 Dec 2015 20:38:00 +0000
"Shippee, Jodi" <Jodi.Shippee at vermont.gov> wrote:
> Whenever a question like this comes up I wonder, isn’t there a shared
> database of collector biographical data?

For botanists, there is the Harvard Index of Botanists, covering
botanical Authors and botanical collectors:

http://kiki.huh.harvard.edu/databases/botanist_search.php?mode=details&id=176

Symbiota has support for the compilation of agent data pertinent to a
given Symbiota instance, though the presentation isn't very pretty yet,
and most Symbiota portals haven't populated these tables yet.  For an
example see:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__symbiota4.acis.ufl.edu_scan_portal_agents_agent.php-3Fagentid-3D410-26findobjects-3D1&d=AwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=6i4on5JE_qaR9OVdKFfhTxhReAK8B74uyhpfTpqYshE&s=ISS0Xa8an3QkS0QR-J6Ex8KQob8TL7xtQD1jy7pW4TI&e=

VIAF, as you mention, is a very good source for information on
scientists who are also authors.

-Paul
--
Paul J. Morris