[Nhcoll-l] NSC Alliance Washington Report - READ THIS ONE!

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Tue Feb 17 19:39:25 EST 2015

On 2/17/15 3:16 PM, Brown, Matthew A wrote:
>> Are you really going to take the time to go back through your collections - every item! - to determine what came from  DOI-managed public lands - ever - even though not georeferenced that precisely at the time collected, even though the exact site may or may not have been DOI-managed public land at the time?
> Um... yes.  I'd be a pretty poor steward if I couldn't be accountable for what my institution holds in our public trust collections.

Matthew: do you have over 3 million specimens in your collection that
have not yet been databased or georeferenced? WE do. We've done
databasing of legacy material, and it takes about 10 minutes per
specimen, allowing for a high proportion of duplicate records. It would
therefore take approximately 250 years for a full-time technician to
database the entire holdings here, assuming we add no new material over
that time. I've been here 15 years, and have managed to add unique
numbers to about 10% of our holdings in that time, only a fraction of
those with complete data capture. Does that mean I'm a poor steward, or
*could it possibly be* that the proposed regulations are unreasonable
when applied to all types of collections, especially arthropods? Given
that arthropods comprise something like 99% of biodiversity on US public
lands, I think the negative impact on arthropod collections is a bit
more significant in the grand scheme, no?

Sincerely,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=C8clVdShu0aw5WQqUeIHjo7xRlt6AXXpBVXBSvLHVFM&s=kfTheqIMclLid-YmwCTgqp3NeSpNIOxVo4VYOagt4yc&e=