[Nhcoll-l] Freezer storage of EtoH tissue samples

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Fri Jan 30 14:37:22 EST 2015

On 1/30/15 10:24 AM, John P. Sullivan wrote:
> I am curious to know how people on this list deal with cold storage
> for DNA samples in ethanol.
>
> We have thousands of tissue samples and fish fin clips preserved in
> 95% EtOH in 2ml Sarstedt screw cap vials. We typically store 16 boxes
> of 81 tubes per freezer rack and can fit 20 racks in a
> refrigerator/freezer.  This makes for a maximum of 52 liters or 13.7
> gallons of EtOH stored in such a refrigerator/freezer.
>
> We have been informed by Environmental Health and Safety at our
> institution that it is improper to store these in regular freezers (as
> opposed to prohibitively expensive, specialized “flammable material”
> freezers).

We were given the same instructions from our EHS people, and we now keep
all our cold ethanol in three Fisher Scientific "Explosion-Proof"
freezers, that cost around $2500 each. Money to cover the extra cost was
obtained through various means, different for each of the three; one was
through a "University of California Genetic Resources Conservation
Program"award. You might find out if your institution has a similar fund
available to you.

Good luck,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=BCd0-M3kbOVOUpSVKK5BIsbwxh934C5k53IfcqDmg5A&s=Hqfj_sVenzJknqavr6j8_x0HyLirI_GVJZaygI6W1HQ&e=