[Nhcoll-l] Melting Le Parfait Gaskets

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Thu Mar 19 17:03:26 EDT 2015

We are currently rehousing our alcohol collection, and are gaining some interesting insights as the last time it was overhauled (in 1976, almost 40 years ago) one of us did it. We thus have a good baseline for what lids work over longer periods.
All our bail jars (Ball brand, mostly) have done really well – not one has failed among the hundreds we’ve examined so far. The red rubber gaskets have hardened and become friable at the edges, but have not failed. Of course, once a jar is opened the gasket will have to be replaced.
There is a firm here in Philadelphia that makes neoprene replacement gaskets for many diameters.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates
Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org<mailto:callomon at ansp.org> Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170