[Nhcoll-l] old glass containers

Hawks, Catharine HawksC at si.edu
Fri Mar 20 15:58:44 EDT 2015

The glassware appears to be quite clear, which suggests that if it is as old as it appears to be, the glass may have been formulated with either uranium or arsenic.  Glass of this type can become very fragile as it ages and could break easily with any handling.

You may want to consult with your safety office on an appropriate protocol for opening these. We have done this, but it did involve siting the glass in absorbent medium inside a heavy plastic pail, transferring to a hood, then slowly opening by the application of towels warmed in hot water to the base of the jar, with applications of light mineral oil around the lid, using a syringe.

Takes a bit of patience, but works.

Cathy
_______________________________
Catharine Hawks