[Nhcoll-l] old glass containers

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Mon Mar 23 09:32:54 EDT 2015

... in this case, cracking should be restricted to the neck. Such
problems can also occur without clamps, if the glass stopper (during
higher temperatures) slips a bit deeper into the neck, and then, when
the specimens containers is cooled down again (and shrinks this tiny
little bit after the neck expanded under higher temperatures), the
stopper causes the neck to break.

But in this case, cracks are restricted to the upper portion of the neck
only.

If it is glass corrosion, the microcracks (which are hardly visible
against the light unless major fissures and cracks form) are all over
the specimens container.

Third option: because of increased pressure/underpressure mediated
through temperature fluctuations (could be up to 2 bar!), either the
bottom  blasts off, or the stopper might crack (depending on how well it
is designed - quite common though in specimen jars with flange and
greased glass plane as cover).

All the best
Dirk

--
Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=Acs4fp0q151MLnoPgaDNOdeK5Ya9wP3IWnJCHYrAvjs&s=Y6cGAgny6m9DDMqhzOOB68I4uNC7TW6JkrDn0GoD9Sc&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: