[Nhcoll-l] old glass containers

Andrew Cabrinovic a.cabrinovic at nhm.ac.uk
Mon Mar 23 09:00:55 EDT 2015

I am wondering if the metal clamp itself might have been a factor with the breaking jar? - relative thermal properties of metal and glass.

When we moved collections into a temperature-controlled facility, a number of cylinder-shaped jars (albeit not Whitall Tatum) whose lids were secured with such clamps suffered cracking.  In this case the jars appeared to be fine with the clamps removed so long as sealant was properly applied.

Andrew Cabrinovic / Curator, Invertebrates Division / Dept of Life Sciences / DC(1) rm505
Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW7 5BD, U.K.