[Nhcoll-l] FW: More on jars

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Sun Nov 1 12:16:40 EST 2015

Hi Rob,

I have been in contact with Schott glass because of the problems we had
with our historic specimen containers. This is very hard to evaluate, as
the observed effects strongly depend on the glass composition of the
respective jars, which, however, are rarely known. Same applies for the
production details (too evaluate the amount of stress of the glass melt
- e.g. if cooling was too fast).

As said before, I have some pictures on this (and a presentation) -
might be worth to revisit  John Simmons excellent workshop on specimen
containers ?

All the best
Dirk

Am 29.10.2015 um 21:48 schrieb Robert Waller:

> Hi Paul,
>
> Thanks for reminding me of those nice pictures.
>
> I wonder though how much the glass disease issue contributed to the
> breakage. Although a little difficult to make out in the pictures it
> looks like the surface alteration of the glass is still very thin in
> relation to the bulk of the glass wall. If that is the case then it
> might not be the most significant cause of fracture – perhaps thermal
> stress from a manufacturing flaw or just past dropping contributed.
> Have you ever seen comparable fractures in vials not exhibiting glass
> disease? I suppose a 2x2 factor table relating count of fractured and
> not fractured vials with and without glass disease would let us know.
> Sounds like a counting job for an intern!
>
> Rob

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Labor
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=kj4_XKBrfd4rdG_5ZfEt_4sCrTuT2FJxWFnPkm-YQcU&s=RqWHi4wRnKXcjDm6mTa7LsBgd4yA1EWtV8G2gUuXezk&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Lab
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: