[Nhcoll-l] Vapor-phase nitrogen freezers

Corey Scobie Corey.Scobie at gov.ab.ca
Wed Aug 24 15:03:44 EDT 2016

Mariel,

We purchased the MVE Vario 1536P last year and are quite happy with it overall. We only go in the cryogenic tank about once per week and it consumes about 5.3L/day. We have a 230L dewar connected to the cryogenic tank and it typically lasts 14 days. Due to the high cost of liquid nitrogen ($6,000 CAD/year/cryogenic tank), we are looking into purchasing a liquid nitrogen generator.

Our freezer alarms are connected directly to security, so when the low level alarm goes off I get a call from security and I order another dewar of LN.

Cheers,
Corey

Corey Scobie, Ph.D.
Assistant Curator of Ornithology