[Nhcoll-l] FW: making the case for natural history collections and their wider benefit to society and the environment

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Fri Jan 22 10:11:10 EST 2016

Hi David,

didn't want to be all too negative in my post: yes, there are definitely
good examples how (individual) museums do outreach and find good
coverage in the media. A similar example is "Tristan", a near to fully
complete T-rex skeleton that went just recently on display at the Berlin
Nat. His. Museum. This was echoed in the media in France and even in New
Zeeland.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.sciencesetavenir.fr_decouvrir_expositions_20151217.OBS1543_en-2Dimages-2Dun-2Dsplendide-2Dt-2Drex-2Ddebarque-2Da-2Dberlin.html&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=MZkpTdhRPe8hnLjdRAAAh4zkkWfHKCLi_1UT_-6tIvo&s=_ud5cLXV3NYM0rH3g4wnvWYHff6gFPm6G2RcgZrxHh0&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.stuff.co.nz_science_75232564_europes-2Dfirstever-2Dcomplete-2Dtrex-2Dskeleton-2Dput-2Don-2Ddisplay-2Din-2Dberlin&d=AwID-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=MZkpTdhRPe8hnLjdRAAAh4zkkWfHKCLi_1UT_-6tIvo&s=-YfTwZSEUd3TmpPGKUUga6vSFXa18iIhPVvp7O7qcSA&e=

The most important point is in your first bullet: collections are
underutilized and their potential is not recognized. Parallel, they are
part of our cultural heritage (without attracting the same attention
among politicians, which do have a strong preference for "real" culture,
e.g. fine arts). This is a general concern.

The importance of "collections" is often mentioned indirectly, e.g. in
the Global Biodiversity Outlook 4 of the SCBD; that the barcodes have to
rely on reference libraries which house and maintain respective
specimens is mentioned nowhere.

It might be worth to strengthen our visibility on a more global level,
but even the Global Taxonomy Initiative hardly finds recognition on the
political level. Even though we have been digitising millions of nice,
fancy & colourful specimens for years now, we are hardly seen ....

All the best
Dirk