[Nhcoll-l] Ethanol concentration for tissue samples

Sarah K. Huber skhuber at vims.edu
Wed Jan 27 12:34:09 EST 2016

I recently had a graduate student request 100% absolute ethanol to use for preserving tissue samples (fish muscle and/or fins). We routinely use 95% ethanol (and all tissue samples are then stored in a -80 freezer); however, the student is adamant that 100% is the only preservative that is acceptable for tissue preservation. Does anyone have an opinion on 95% versus 100% ethanol for tissue preservation? There is a very steep price difference between the two fluids, and my understanding is that 95% ethanol preserves tissues just as well as 100%.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
skhuber at vims.edu | www.vims.edu
PO Box 1346 | 1375 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062