[Nhcoll-l] Vial jar system for easier specimen collection maintenance

Rogers, Steve RogersS at CarnegieMNH.Org
Fri Mar 18 13:18:37 EDT 2016

Greetings William,

The previous plastic bag method was instituted by Jack McCoy in order to sequester clutches of hatchling turtles primarily generated by Dick Vogt in the late 1970's. As I mentioned, the rubber bands failed, but had heat sealing existed back then, it would have solved the problem better. We have on the order of 10-12,000 hatchling turtles from many hundred clutches, and having them grouped together greatly facilitated a visitor about a decade ago who photographed many clutches to see if variable temperature incubation not only affected sex determination as Vogt studied, but also affected plastral pattern on the bellies of Graptemys. The specimens were stout enough that weight of specimens above the individual clutches at the bottom of the gallon jars were not affected by above bagged clutches.

In the system I used last spring, I used larger vials and small jars to contain the tadpoles, and the hard supports does not damage the specimens. I will probably utilize it in the future for instances where stomach contents are kept in vials because cotton is not the best cover for material with very delicate small parts or containing sharp objects that can catch on the cotton like partially consumed insect legs and such.

SPR
From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu [nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] on behalf of William Shepherd [w.shepherd at swiftcurrent.ca]
Sent: Friday, March 18, 2016 10:51 AM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: Re: [Nhcoll-l] Vial jar system for easier specimen collection maintenance

Hello Stephen,

        I've been watching this discussion with much interest. My current institution does not have any wet specimens but my previous one had a few hundred, though these were largely single specimens in their own container ranging from human organs to insects and animal fetuses. I think your bag method is really ingenious and deals with many of the issues in the various discussions around the 'proper' way to do this. The only questions I had, have you had any issue with specimens on the bottom being damaged from the weight of the items above it since the bags don't have much crush strength? While many of these specimens are quite light and will be somewhat buoyant I was thinking there must be a greater pressure on the bottom specimens. Is there any issue with physical damage when it comes to retrieval of specimens from the larger containers? We'd all take care but pulling bags in and out versus vials seems like it may put additional strain on the physical integrity of the specimens.

        I'd love to hear, as likely the list as a whole, your thoughts. Again, great idea.

William Shepherd
Collections Officer
Swift Current Museum
44 Robert Street West