[Nhcoll-l] Vial jar system for easier specimen collection maintenance

Callomon,Paul prc44 at drexel.edu
Fri Mar 18 14:46:55 EDT 2016

My reservation about trying the bags-in-jars method would be that we don't know what long-term effects the plastic might have on the fluid, or vice-versa.
Some while back one of my predecessors submerged hundreds of glass vials with phenolic resin screw caps in jars of ethanol. Over the years, exudates from the plastic turned the alcohol a rich tan color - and in every case I've examined so far, the screw caps backed off so far that they are completely loose, negating the purpose of putting them in there in the first place.
The point being, then, that one should perhaps avoid submerging any materials in ethanol for the long term unless they've been shown to remain unchanged.

Paul Callomon
Collection Manager, Malacology, Invertebrate Paleontology and General Invertebrates

Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University, Philadelphia
1900 Benjamin Franklin Parkway, Philadelphia PA 19103-1195, USA
callomon at ansp.org Tel 215-405-5096 - Fax 215-299-1170