[Nhcoll-l] Memorandum Signed: SPNHC and ICOM NATHIST

Janet Waddington jbwaddington at rogers.com
Tue May 17 14:00:34 EDT 2016

Great initiative, Andy! Well done.

Janet

From: nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu
[mailto:nhcoll-l-bounces at mailman.yale.edu] On Behalf Of Bentley, Andrew
Charles
Sent: May-17-16 12:16 PM
To: nhcoll-l at mailman.yale.edu
Subject: [Nhcoll-l] Memorandum Signed: SPNHC and ICOM NATHIST

The International Council of Museums Committee for Museums and Collections
of Natural History (ICOM NATHIST) and the Society for the Preservation of
Natural History Collections (SPNHC) have signed a memorandum of
understanding to advance the aims of both organizations. Among the
initiatives covered in the MOU are:

*         Mutual ex-officio representation on the respective Boards of the
two parties

*         Collaboration on conferences

*         Joint initiatives and projects

A major impetus for creating this agreement is to give greater weight to the
natural history museum sector in the face of increasing global environmental
degradation, ever greater interest and engagement from the public and
pressure to increase activity with fewer resources.

Dr. Eric Dorfman, President of ICOM NATHIST, cited the benefits of an
arrangement like this. “This agreement will give each of our organizations
the chance to expand our focus, while keeping true to our core missions.
We’re delighted to welcome the presence of a like-minded group in our midst
and look forward to making a contribution to their endeavors.”

Andrew Bentley, President of SPNHC said, “This is a great opportunity for
the collections community to function in a more coordinated fashion and
collaborate on issues of joint concern and mutual benefit.  With numerous
other such agreements in place with other like-minded societies and
organizations, we have the possibility of creating a world-wide group that
can advocate for collections and create meaningful relationships that can
have a huge impact on the health and future of collections.”

SPNHC has engaged Kelly Sendall of the Royal BC Museum in Canada as our
representative to ICOM NatHist.  I would encourage SPNHC members to sign up
for the ICOM NatHist newsletter using this link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__icomnathist.wordpress.com_subscribe-2D2_&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=JS7Hj2xaj14f3oM3mzd66g_SQxAeRBsLsqNiWaIg2OY&s=XKcR37q_qLTNQoxWvd8EX_oLfpJmjHBUI3M6hGnUh_M&e=
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__icomnathist.wordpress.
com_subscribe-2D2_&d=AwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZf
h6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=zqsUYmSsSE4I0tHr4DbINcWaox80abSNQZVBL3laVsY&s=FLNtu
d2gnzY3c2GxFaB1SykzPeVZudHSxMfH1bacQvs&e=>

Thanks

Andy

    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute

Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA

Tel: (785) 864-3863
Fax: (785) 864-5335
Email:  <mailto:abentley at ku.edu> abentley at ku.edu

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversit
y.ku.edu_&d=AwMFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8
NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=zqsUYmSsSE4I0tHr4DbINcWaox80abSNQZVBL3laVsY&s=IEAh6a1Wa-CXeW
7-dPT3vCeLB3AzUUTHPQvrgdw6DiA&e=> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=JS7Hj2xaj14f3oM3mzd66g_SQxAeRBsLsqNiWaIg2OY&s=ODfETqXZSZSdwdGpyaQ8TwatKrKcV1X7sVEIvjVBDjs&e=

SPNHC President

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org_&d=AwMFAw
&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=zq
sUYmSsSE4I0tHr4DbINcWaox80abSNQZVBL3laVsY&s=MAW1UNadFQIq-iwpRUOWFeadd8O2kVfY
DcQgHE6jPH8&e=> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=AwIFAw&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=JS7Hj2xaj14f3oM3mzd66g_SQxAeRBsLsqNiWaIg2OY&s=ztSLyCoHb_Ll75Fy5mP2TLnw6221qLuc42fTZEz9XYg&e=

    A  :             A  :             A  :
    V                V                V