[Nhcoll-l] Question about Large Rove Beetles and vertebrate collections

Doug Yanega dyanega at ucr.edu
Mon Sep 12 13:16:47 EDT 2016

On 9/12/16 10:00 AM, Elizabeth Wommack wrote:
> Hello nhcoll-l listserve,
>
> I have a quick question for other vertebrate collections about a
> specific group of insects and their potential effects on a collection.
>
> I found a live member of the Large Rove Beetle ( Subfamily
> Staphylininae, https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bugguide.net_node_view_31277&d=CwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=rVw6ykZwwFOMU24oWnwZsco6nxxDZgqTWdHFqJJ_pnI&s=4C1CiL03VxeWopa2ZkaR2YZtIz51EgpO2dwgipuhGUQ&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__bugguide.net_node_view_31277&d=CwMFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=JnaumqzAKoYbX_L-Ta7d6Y-x3Yd0595-3H8LF4SS-VI&s=o9zgY5svhr2zlfjdm2pWfebwyowN2b25mUMXqNTw1H0&e=>)
> wandering across the floor of our prep lab. Scott Schell and Alexandre
> Latchininsky at Univ. of WY were kind enough to ID the insect for me,
> and it looks like they mostly feed on live prey.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with these insects in their
> collections? And if you have found them in your collections, did they
> cause any damage that you could find? Did you have to do any specific
> types of pest control?
> Since it was found in our lab which is near our dry collections I want
> to make sure. Our dermestid colony is in another building, so I'm not
> particularly worried about them.

Staphylinines generally are predatory, and most commonly encountered
feeding on fly maggots or other larvae associated with dead or decaying
things. They are also prone to being attracted by bright lights at
night, and easily get indoors that way. I wouldn't worry.

Peace,

              https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__cache.ucr.edu_-7Eheraty_yanega.html&d=CwIC-g&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=rVw6ykZwwFOMU24oWnwZsco6nxxDZgqTWdHFqJJ_pnI&s=_xqyn5YwAjlVLlA3gOmhraut-YblKSPvOUNiqccNk0M&e=