[Nhcoll-l] Jar Numbering Systems

Emily M. Braker emily.braker at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 1 12:24:04 EDT 2017

Hi All,

We are planning to rehouse and inventory our Herpetology collection which will include implementing a container-level specimen tracking system. All catalog numbers in a jar will be linked to a unique container ID to increase findability, especially for large taxonomic series that span multiple jars within a given geographic region.

I am interested to know what other collections have done regarding a jar numbering systems (sequential? sequential within taxon? other?). Or, if you use barcodes for tracking containers, have you encountered issues with scanning through glass? We will be adding thermal labels to each jar to replace our existing external jar tag that lists species and locality (county-level resolution). Along these lines, does anyone go so far as listing the catalog numbers of specimens stored within the same jar on their thermal labels? We are hoping to streamline the process of searching through multiple jars and hundreds of specimens to find the distinguished few that are requested to go on loan. I'd welcome any suggestions or advice.

Thanks!
Emily

Emily Braker
Vertebrate Collections Manager, Zoology Section
University of Colorado Museum of Natural History
265 UCB, Bruce Curtis Building
Boulder, CO 80309-0218
Phone: 303-492-8466