[Nhcoll-l] Jar Numbering Systems

Andrew Stewart AndrewS at tepapa.govt.nz
Tue Aug 1 16:15:20 EDT 2017

Hi Emily,

Yes, we have implemented a jar numbering system; basically running the jars as 'mini drums'. This enables some space saving with multiple registrations in a jar, particularly useful when several specimens of the same species from the same location have different registration numbers due to tissue sampling. The printed label has the list of registration numbers on it, but each database record has the same jar number. The jars have a sticky number label attached to the lid, but this is not repeated on the jar label. Also we use the jar number to track the registration number down to the shelf it should be on.

The database we are using is KE Emu and the jar number is stored in the Collection Management tab, vis: [J019177] Jar  -  [R-3D17-12GB] Tory Street - Spirit Collection Store, Area 1 - compactor 12, Drop G, shelf B. This means that the history of that container is also recorded - jar manufacturer, alcohol type, volume and concentration and who did the work, & when. Should a batch or style of jar show problems, they can be tracked and assessed to the size of the problem; is it a single faulty unit or is the whole batch defective.

We have what would be an average to small-sized fishes collection (~55,000 jars) and the jar numbers started at J00001. The collections have different number blocks assigned, fishes run through to J700000. We haven't had the money for scanners, but work from spread sheets which are then transferred to the database. Sounds clunky, but it works OK.

The biggest thing to watch for is that researchers put the correct lid with its number back onto the correct jar with its specimens and registration label!

Hope this is useful

Cheers
Andrew Stewart

>><<<)o>