[Nhcoll-l] FW: [CRUST-L:9947] Mercuric chloride and sequencing

Julian Carter Julian.Carter at museumwales.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 10:50:36 EST 2017

Modern techniques such as Next Generation Sequencing could well yield something but it will be a greater challenge from samples treated with Mercuric based fixatives than formaldehyde as it forms stronger chemical crosslinks than formaldehyde, particularly with sulphur groups in proteins and nucleic acids. Pre-treatments to attempt to reverse the fixation reactions and remove mercury will be key to any possible PCR success, but this will be harder the older the samples. E.g. see Hopwood (2002) in Bancroft and Gamble’s Theory and Practice of histological techniques. Julie Eklund also provides evidence of Mercury (II) chloride damage to short amplified DNA sections in her 2007 thesis ‘The effects and preparation of conservation treatments on DNA’.

Thus if the samples have been collected and subsequently stored in Mercury based fixative then the chance of getting usable DNA will probably be extremely low, but if the samples were moved to a more suitable preservative after collecting then that will probably improve the chances of amplification success. I guess the only way to know is to give it a go and let us know if it works or not – I’d certainly be interested to know either way!

Best wishes

Jules

Prif Gadwraethydd, Gwyddorau Naturiol
Principal Conservator Natural Sciences