[Nhcoll-l] Display/storage containers for study skins

John E Simmons simmons.johne at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 15:58:04 EST 2017

Prepare a simple, friendly, one-page list of handling instructions for
specimens that says tags cannot be removed, fur cannot be rubbed the wrong
way, feathers cannot be separated, etc. Assume that none of the students or
instructors have ever handled specimens before and take this opportunity to
teach them how to do it right. You might also include a few statements
about the importance of preserved specimens. On the bottom of the sheet
include a place for each person to sign and date it to verify that they
have read and will follow the directions.

Personally, I would also require students (and everyone else) working with
the specimens to wear nitrile or neoprene gloves while handling specimens
and include cautions about washing hand after due to possible contact with
arsenic or other pesticides.

--John

John E. Simmons
Museologica
128 E. Burnside Street
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania 16823-2010
simmons.johne at gmail.com
303-681-5708
www.museologica.com
and
Adjunct Curator of Collections
Earth and Mineral Science Museum & Art Gallery
Penn State University
University Park, Pennsylvania
and
Instructor, Museum Studies