[Nhcoll-l] Display/storage containers for study skins

Dawn Lawson dmlawson at ualberta.ca
Thu Feb 23 15:58:30 EST 2017

I have tried repeatedly to have alternative materials used, because I find
the students don't seem to be actually all that interested in the skins for
their use (which is primarily just to see the species)

"this type of collection" = study skins vs such items as shells, fossils,
mounts.

Although primarily a teaching collection, the means to replace aren't
available, and the collection has significance in our institute history, so
it seems best to prevent "useless" damage, when the real use is just
viewing (vs say an anatomy course (and the zoolgoy course uses them very
carefully, with a fully hands-off approach)

"other uses" = Art courses, as drawing subjects (these students and faculty
are very respectful, and not an issue), special projects (in which case
handling is specifically addressed in the loan)