[Nhcoll-l] Exploding glass vials

Sarah K. Huber skhuber at vims.edu
Wed Jan 11 08:42:32 EST 2017

We are having some problems with our glass vials (2-dram, 4-dram, and 6-dram) cracking, breaking, and in some cases exploding. In one instance the top of the vial snapped and shot up a few inches in the air about 5 minutes after sealing the vial (very exciting). However, most vials that break are found during routine (monthly) checks. In some cases, the vials have been fine for a year, and then will break. In other cases, they break a week or two after fillign. Breakage occurs several ways: a clean break along the neck, a clean break along the bottom, or spider cracks along the whole vial. Has anyone else had this problem or know of a solution (e.g., do we need higher quality glass vials, are we screwing down the lids too tight, etc.)?

We use Kimble™ Screw-Thread N-51A Borosilicate Glass Sample Vials with Closed-Top Black Phenolic Caps with Rubber Liners. Vials are filled with ethanol (either 70% or 95%) and larval fishes. Vials are stored in cardboard vial trays with dividers between vials, and vial trays are stored in wooden drawers in sealed metal cabinets. The room has minimal fluctuations in humidity, but can fluctuate in temperature by about 5 degrees. Once the vials are stored they are relatively undisturbed, so there is little to no bumping or moving of the vials.

Any thoughts or recommendations of other vial manufacturers would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Sarah

Sarah K. Huber, Ph.D.
Curatorial Associate, VIMS Nunnally Ichthyology Collection
Office 804.684.7104 | Collection 804.684.7285
skhuber at vims.edu | www.vims.edu
PO Box 1346 | 1375 Greate Rd., Gloucester Pt., VA 23062