[Nhcoll-l] Meet with Your Lawmakers and Help Inform Science Policy

Julie Palakovich Carr jpalakovichcarr at aibs.org
Mon Jul 3 13:39:40 EDT 2017

Register for the 2017 Biological Sciences Congressional District Visits
event.

This national initiative, organized by the American Institute of Biological
Sciences with the support of the Society for the Preservation of Natural
History Collections, is an opportunity for biologists across the country to
meet with their federal or state elected officials to showcase the people,
facilities, and equipment that are required to support and conduct
scientific research.

Now in its ninth year, the event enables scientists, graduate students,
representatives of research facilities, and people affiliated with
scientific collections to meet with their federal or state elected
officials without traveling to Washington, DC. Participants may either
invite their elected officials to visit their research facility or can meet
at the policymaker's local office.

AIBS will schedule the meetings with lawmakers and will prepare
participants through online training and one-on-one support.

“Participating in the Biological Sciences Congressional District Visits
event was an invaluable experience to have as a graduate student. The
training provided by AIBS made me feel confident and ready to go have a
conversation with Representative Reed’s District Director about federal
funding, especially how it’s benefitted me during my Ph.D. I was struck
during our meeting by how meaningful it is to ‘show up’ and participate in
the political process, especially as it relates to federal funding for the
biological sciences. We scientists take the importance of federal funding
to do our research to be a given, but it’s important for us to be able to
communicate that effectively, especially with policymakers, to ensure that
federal funding is maintained in the future.”

Erin Larson
Cornell University
2016 participant

The event is made possible by the American Institute of Biological
Sciences, with the support of event sponsors American Society of Plant
Taxonomists, American Society of Primatologists, Botanical Society of
America, Harvard Museum of Comparative Zoology, Helminthological Society of
Washington, Natural Science Collections Alliance, Organization of
Biological Field Stations, Paleontological Society, Society for Freshwater
Science, and Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections,
and event supporter Society of Nematologists.

Participation is free, but registration will close on July 18, 2017. For
more information and to register, visit
www.aibs.org/public-policy/congressional_district_visits.html.

--
Julie Palakovich Carr
Public Policy Manager

--
This message is confidential and should only be read by its intended
recipients.