[Nhcoll-l] Proposing a Preparation extension to Darwin Core - community feedback

Peter T Oboyski essig.museum at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 15:16:12 EST 2017

>From the perspective of a terrestrial arthropod collections manager and
researcher, I have been thinking about this issue for some time. How a
specimen was dispatched, processed, and archived makes a big difference in
how it can be used for research. And of course, it could be segregated into
several parts that are treated differently. "It's complicated." But the
better these things can be documented in a standardized way, the more
useful for research. And I like controlled vocabularies, but that would be
a long list across disciplines, and there would need to be an "other"
option.

Suggested fields:
- Killing Method (eg. frozen, cyanide, EtOAc, 95% EtOH, 70% EtOH, ethylene
glycol, propylene glycol, ...)
- Fixative (eg. Formalin, EtOH, ...)
- Preparation (eg. "cleared with KOH, stainied with chlorazol Black & Eosin
Y", " ... Mercurochrome", ...)
- Preparation Notes (eg. "rehydrated in the presence of chlorocresol",
"stored/transported with naphthalene", ...)
- Preservation (eg. 90% EtOH, 70% EtOH, Euparal, Balsam Resin, Hoyer's
solution, ...)

Each of these (and other fields) could have "By" (person) "On Date" (when
it happened). And these fields could apply to separate parts (eg. tissues
sub-sampled for DNA and preserved separately, genitalia dissections with
slide mounts, plants or cultures subdivided among institutions, ...).
Quickly the number of fields proliferates. In a one-to-many relational
system it would not be too difficult to capture in a structured way. But
can GBIF, iDigBio, and others accommodate dimensional data? They generally
work in flat file formats, right?

Peter T Oboyski, PhD
Collections Manager & Curatorial Supervisor
Essig Museum of Entomology
1170 Valley Life Science Building
University of California, Berkeley

mailing address:
1101 VLSB, #4780
Berkeley, CA 94720

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__nature.berkeley.edu_-7Epoboyski_&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=PHpj30ZxQiwuSD-P3QmY-MEa-CLcQvm9q_LF1nBFqco&s=rEyqZ10l160IKA7iajstoqfGAHaO9TSTGkQ0eLFjMfU&e=
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__essig.berkeley.edu&d=DwIFaQ&c=-dg2m7zWuuDZ0MUcV7Sdqw&r=CLFZJ3fvGSmDp7xK1dNZfh6uGV_h-8NVlo3fXNoRNzI&m=PHpj30ZxQiwuSD-P3QmY-MEa-CLcQvm9q_LF1nBFqco&s=wY-ItU9xf5QNNtBekH44KTOENxUun3qXQQzWWzfW00U&e=

essig.museum at gmail.com
510.643.0804 (work phone)
510.847.0360 (cell phone)