[Nhcoll-l] Fish curation in early 20th century

Dirk Neumann dirk.neumann at zsm.mwn.de
Tue Nov 28 02:36:24 EST 2017

Hi All,

this is a typical Sauerkraut crock - but honestly, never spotted these
as specimen jars so far. At least not in Germany (even in very old
historic collections).

Normally, those crocks are sealed by water-filled rims which would only
need occasional refilling in a cool root cellar (which is the typical
storage location for such stoneware). The rims of the lid and the
container are uneven, to allow fermentation gases to escape through the
water-filled grove if the inner pressure is high enough, which is one of
the main features of these crocks.

Thus it is very surprising that they were used to produce a proper
specimen container.

All the best
Dirk

Am 27.11.2017 um 18:42 schrieb Alexandra Snyder:
> [...]
>     currently thinking that the northeastern US is a likely origin,
>     though the form has precursors in Europe,
>     especially Germany. Please let me know if you have seen these or
>     other similar ceramic vessels for housing museum collections. You
>     may reach me off-list at lbloch at floridamuseum.ufl.edu
>     <mailto:lbloch at floridamuseum.ufl.edu>. Thanks for any help you can
>     provide.
>

>     Best,
>     Lindsay
>
>     Lindsay Bloch, Ph.D.
>     Collections Manager
>     Ceramic Technology Laboratory
>     Florida Archaeological Collections
>     Florida Museum of Natural History
>     Dickinson Hall
>     University of Florida
>     Gainesville, FL 32611
>     lbloch at floridamuseum.ufl.edu <mailto:lbloch at floridamuseum.ufl.edu>
>     (352) 273-1924 <tel:%28352%29%20273-1924>

>     NHCOLL-L is brought to you by the Society for the Preservation of
>     Natural History Collections (SPNHC), an international society whose
>     mission is to improve the preservation, conservation and management of
>     natural history collections to ensure their continuing value to
>     society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=zK2BNDwURCwWYEsjo3XyCC629OF9cWc4eQAp4lmC62k&s=Xahnkx-aXn85px89r8T-edYTIl1pTz0eC4jwafEvQOw&e=
>     <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwMFaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=SveCV7zScaJQAeh8JAvBvEnpEi1h_S4Nsrptaf42-VE&s=SU5FemCS8p-KNStDVBSKcCfI1s_OvJUBhSiFNpKVcOw&e=>
>     for membership information.
>     Advertising on NH-COLL-L is inappropriate.
>

> --
> Alexandra M Snyder
> Collections Manager-Fishes
> Museum of Southwestern Biology MSC01-2020
> University of New Mexico
> Albuquerque NM 87131 USA
>
> PH.505.277.6005 OFFICE
>
> _Physical address for FedEx and UPS_
> CERIA 83 Room 204
> 302 Yale Blvd NE
>
> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__msb.unm.edu_&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=zK2BNDwURCwWYEsjo3XyCC629OF9cWc4eQAp4lmC62k&s=c8q9DolIfHawYjQWEx4qXPkJvv1bUpDXfRqBvOpVKWY&e=
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__msb.unm.edu_&d=DwMFaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=SveCV7zScaJQAeh8JAvBvEnpEi1h_S4Nsrptaf42-VE&s=lPK9uZ9yUU0giBH-EITHnUcBik30d6yXBlFlNszYGLE&e=>

> society. See https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spnhc.org&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=zK2BNDwURCwWYEsjo3XyCC629OF9cWc4eQAp4lmC62k&s=Xahnkx-aXn85px89r8T-edYTIl1pTz0eC4jwafEvQOw&e= for membership information.

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.zsm.mwn.de_ich_&d=DwIDaQ&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=zK2BNDwURCwWYEsjo3XyCC629OF9cWc4eQAp4lmC62k&s=oc85yCAq4rhAB1voQy6OjPE5TlD5s-4NGQ4Y-vyy51k&e=

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
email: Dirk.Neumann(a)zsm.mwn.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at: