[Nhcoll-l] mercury in collections

Hawks, Catharine HawksC at si.edu
Thu Apr 19 06:06:39 EDT 2018

Hi Peter

There are numerous publications that refer to the use of mercury with museum specimens.  I have attached three that may have bibliographic information that would be useful.

We have monitored extensively for mercury vapor volatilized from treated herbarium specimens, vertebrate specimens, invertebrate specimens, mineral specimens, and ethnographic objects here at the  NMNH, as have other institutions. Staff in museums with technology, history, and decorative arts collections have done so as well.

If you would like to explore this further, it might be easiest to have a phone conversation to narrow down the types of information that would be most pertinent for your study.

Cathy
_______________________________
Catharine Hawks
Conservator
Collections Program
MRC 170 Rm M85-J
National Museum of Natural History
10th Street & Constitution Ave NW
Washington DC 20560
w 202.633.0835 or 4041  c 703 200 4370
hawksc at si.edu<mailto:hawksc at si.edu>

SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTION
NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
Facebook<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_nmnh.fanpage_&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=2dY5clTQQrdXuLoSiv0dseevmjAvOaJCyd5AYnpAgUY&s=w6c6yxc9Zg1cf2H-S5Xoei9wTpYLB_0v5YLlhkOR7oE&e=>  |  Twitter<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_NMNH&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=2dY5clTQQrdXuLoSiv0dseevmjAvOaJCyd5AYnpAgUY&s=5Kz7ujHsWZWXSkNMLAtcxJk3JTJ_z9ielZnAdR9Au9k&e=>  |  Instagram<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.instagram.com_smithsoniannmnh_&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=2dY5clTQQrdXuLoSiv0dseevmjAvOaJCyd5AYnpAgUY&s=l0Q1KUYZShO-TAHEX-6xFLhIirddJFG7JvXxUd4useM&e=>

[PRICE logo2 signature (340x353) (2) (002)]