[Nhcoll-l] mercury in collections

Ann Pinzl apinzl at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 19 18:58:47 EDT 2018

Greetings,

                You didn’t indicate for which collections  receiving mercury
that you were interested in.  I’ve been gathering references to herbarium
materials & methods for a while now, and I can  say that there are numerous
mentions in the latter part of the 1800s, but the earliest reference I’ve
come across is :

Franklin Society of Providence, R.I.  1829.  General directions for
collecting and preserving articles in the various departments of natural
history respectfully submitted by the Franklin Society of Providence, R.I.
to the attention of travellers, seafaring men and all lovers of nature and
of nature’s handy works, who are willing to lend their aid in promoting the
cause of science, and advancing the progress of the arts. Franklin Society
of Providence R. I. 8pp.   (Since. I have been concentrating on
plants/herbaria I noted only pages 6 & 7 as dealing with them.)

            As for tests, I am aware of the following:

Odegaard,N., D.R. Smith, .V.Boyer,, and J. Anderson.  2006.  Use of handheld
XRF for the study of pesticide residues on museum objects.  Collect. Forum
2220(1):42-48.

Purewal, V.  1999.  The identification of hazardous pesticide and fungicide
residues on herbarium material.  Scottish Society for Conservation and
Restoration Journal.  10(4):5-9.

Purewal, V.  2001.  The identification of four persistent and hazardous
residues present on historic plant collections housed within the National
Museum and Galleries of Wales.  Collect. Forum 16(1-2):77-86.

Purewal, V., and B. Colston.  2006.  New approaches to the identification
and treatment of contaminants in  P.57 in: Society for the Preservation of
Natural History Collections Program and Abstracts. 21st  Annual Meeting,
23-27 May 2006.

Purewal, V., B. Colston, and S. Röhrs.  2008.  Developing a simple screening
method for the identification of historic biocide residues on herbarium
material in museum collections.  X-Ray Spectrom. 37:137-141.

Use of hand-held UV lamp as screening method; PIXE analysis for details on
mercury and arsenic contamination.

Purewal, V.J.  2012.  Novel Detection and removal of Hazardous Biocide
Residue Historically Applied to Herbaria. 192 pp. (Doctoral dissertation,
University of Lincoln).
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__eprints.lincoln.ac.uk_13573_13_Purewal-5FPhD-5FApril-5F2012-5Fv2.pdf&d=DwIFAw&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=yIRQqbTguMPoWiNONyA1QA0XEGAt58kSYEDDjhz8SQ8&s=sOW7heQt77wKoiAh7GsbvPAyZNy4Nq82So5Jw6riaJQ&e=

The Odegaard et al. paper covers cultural objects, while V. Purewal has
pretty much restricted herself to herbarium specimens.

Good luck,

Ann Pinzl