[Nhcoll-l] lighting guidelines for fluid preserved specimens in exhibitions

Julian Carter Julian.Carter at museumwales.ac.uk
Mon Dec 17 10:21:48 EST 2018

Dirk summarises the situation well. Lux measures light intensity, which then gets used as a value to judge potential light damage to an object or specimen, but this is based around tungsten lighting which has a wide spectral band with many damaging wavelengths so lux as an estimate of damage is not necessarily a comparable factor across different lighting sources. Fluid specimens will suffer fading and there is the potential of initiating other chemical reactions that may affect the specimen through the initiation of free radicals etc. Thus repeating the advice already given avoid daylight and remove UV, and I’d suggest using a good quality LED system which have tight wavebands and produce less heat. 150 lux is a generalised value balancing the needs of seeing a specimen/object to those attempting to protect its long term stability and condition. Understanding these parameters better with respect to fluid collections is indeed an important research question and one raised at the recent fluid symposium in Paris the other week.

All the best

Jules

Prif Gadwraethydd, Gwyddorau Naturiol
Principal Conservator Natural Sciences