[Nhcoll-l] Ivory and fur donations

Amber Anderson AAnderson at cmnh.org
Fri Feb 2 10:06:28 EST 2018

Hello,

I've noticed an uptick over the past year or so of calls from people wanting to donate decorative ivory carvings and vintage fur coats (usually from endangered animals) to our institution. We no longer accept these items for a number of reasons and, when I explain the reason and decline, I'm usually asked for other suggestions for their donations. They understand that they cannot sell the items in most cases.

I'm curious to know if other institutions are dealing with more of these calls lately and, if so, how you are handling them?

Amber Anderson

Registrar

Cleveland Museum of Natural History

1 Wade Oval Drive, University Circle