[Nhcoll-l] Two questions: best practices for storage of fragile/large lichen (and fungal) specimens

Lewis, Deborah A [EEOBS] dlewis at iastate.edu
Thu Feb 22 16:02:31 EST 2018

Hi all,
To date, most of our lichens, fungi and bryophytes have been stored in the herbarium in 100% cotton-fiber ("rag") paper packets. However, we have stored our over-sized or fragile lichen and fungal specimens in pasteboard type boxes, some more archival than others, but most of probably fairly acidic paperboard. As we rethink this going forward, we'd like to know the best practices for boxes or other containers for storing these specimens. Unfortunately, our budget is limited, so we won't be able to afford, unless a relative-few at a time, to change to something like polyester, if that is even the "best practice."
Also, we've gotten a fairly small collection of lichens on which it is obvious that the chemical tests were done directly on the specimen instead of removing a fragment. These chemical spots are noticeable if the reaction was positive - should this material be removed before the specimen is accessioned and stored? And if the reaction was negative, are the chemicals likely to cause problems? (For those of you unfamiliar with these tests, here is a link that lists the typical chemicals used: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.britishlichensociety.org.uk_identification_chemical-2Dtests&d=DwIFAg&c=cjytLXgP8ixuoHflwc-poQ&r=LpYc_Z_iN1KRw0hheb3x6-8MJUMu482qfHowpGYJqwc&m=IUG260Pb9tiowv1o9KbbGDrFKSegCiyl5lXl-kFXe7g&s=FO7KNzSxuSNroxyQMPzPtymfrqWlEZ40LxUmXECMPKI&e=).
Thanks for any help with these questions! Best wishes,
Deb Lewis

Deborah Q. Lewis, Curator
Ada Hayden Herbarium (ISC/IA)
EEOB Department                                 Phone:  (1) 515-294-9499
Iowa State University                          FAX: (1) 515-294-1337
342 Bessey                                               Email: dlewis at iastate.edu<mailto:dlewis at iastate.edu>
2200 Osborn Drive
Ames, IA  50011-4009  (USA)