[Nhcoll-l] Datamax I-Class Mark II printer recommendations

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue Oct 16 11:23:24 EDT 2018

Sarah

We have been using a Datamax i-Class Mark II for about 5 years now and have had no issues.  I do not have any experience with other makes but we did have an old Datamax Prodigy Max 300 before that for about 10 years that also served us well.

In terms of features for printing labels for alcoholic collections make sure that you get the 300dpi printer (600dpi is overkill) so as to get good quality labels.  Also ensure that you get the spun bound polyester media as sold by Alpha Systems as well as the SDR 5+ resin ribbon for best results in alcohol.  The optional cutter is worth the investment if you are going to be printing lots of labels or will be networking the printer for multiple divisions/people to share.  The network card is also optional so if you want to print from multiple machines or offices then that is a must.

The print heads are very susceptible to dust and debris so a clean area for the printer is advisable as well as ensuring that the media is wrapped in plastic on delivery and until use.  There are some other tweaks and settings I would suggest once you have it set up but I can fill you in on those later.

Attached is the spec sheet and pricing from Alpha Systems on printers (with options), media and ribbons if you are interested.

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :
    V                V                V