[Nhcoll-l] Nepal vistiing researcher scam revisited

Monaghan, Nigel nmonaghan at museum.ie
Wed Jan 9 12:00:08 EST 2019

We get regular email approaches from people in countries where it is obvious that the only issue at stake is securing a visa. We don’t know anything about them, they don’t seem to know anything about us. Applications can take the form of asking to ‘register for your conference’, or seek to come on a ‘study visit’ but it is a common scam in my experience. To aid visa applications it is usual for them to request that you invite them. With an invitation they can argue for a visa as they ‘have been invited’ to your country by a reputable local i.e. ‘your museum name here’.

The common alarm bell factor in the several examples I have dealt with personally is the request for you to invite them. Some have actually had credible looking websites, but never an email address of a corporate nature.

A standard approach we use in my museum is to ask such delegations to contact you by going through their own embassy – all applications disappear without trace…

Nigel

Mr Nigel T. Monaghan,
Keeper – Natural History Division,
National Museum of Ireland – Natural History,
Merrion St. Dublin 2, Ireland.
D02 F627
T: +353-1-6486-354 | M: +353 87 7985570
Website<http://www.museum.ie/> | Social Media<https://www.museum.ie/Corporate-Media/Social-Media>

Group Bookings should be addressed to bookings at museum.ie<mailto:bookings at museum.ie>
Research visitors must make appointments in advance of any proposed visit.

Visit: Jurassic Skies – When dinosaurs took to the air https://www.museum.ie/Decorative-Arts-History/Exhibitions/Current-Exhibitions/Jurassic-Skies-When-Dinosaurs-Took-to-the-Air
Virtual Visit: See our 3D interiors at http://www.museum.ie/en/exhibition/natural-history-3d-virtual-visit.aspx
Watch: We are one of the Dublin stories on www.storymap.ie<http://www.storymap.ie/> also at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VunX2u_mQWw
Read: Guide to the National Museum of Ireland - Natural History, €5.95 from Museum Shops
Poetry: Dead Zoo – a whole book of poetry http://www.gallerypress.com/shop/#!/~/product/id=28033815