[Nhcoll-l] Recommended method(s) for cleaning taxidermy mounts.....

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Tue Jun 18 05:44:22 EDT 2019

Thanks Gali and thanks Cory for bringing this subject to general attention.

Interesting to see your careful approach to this problem.  Ally Rae also mentioned the use of alcohol (IM Spirit) to clean feathers and which is very effective, using re-usable cotton buds. This works well but be aware of the solvent removing traces of natural oils from feathers with the dirt; generally this is OK but don’t immerse the feathers or prolong the treatment more than necessary.

For cleaning really hairy mammals (longer-haired bears for example) I use Vanish foam.  I know this is a commercial product with a cocktail of chemicals in it and many may throw up hands in horror BUT it really does work and gets masses of deeply ingrained dirt out within minutes!  I then remove the deposits left by the foam by alcohol rubbing (gently) with paper towelling and give  the specimen a gentle blow dry to set the fur.  Some may regard this technique as somewhat maverick but until some conservation-friendly and easily-available product  appears……  So far, none of the specimens I have treated this way have shown any signs of hair deterioration and I have been using this for over 12 years.  The foam slightly rehydrates over-dry surface skin (noses, eyelids &c) and makes them more receptive to skin dressing agents such as Bollmann’s Ultra Soft (sadly no longer available in the UK).
The foam technique does not do well on birds as the feathers become clogged with the foam and it's really difficult to remove. Perhaps Tom Strang might be able to shed more light here?

For arsenic, since I cannot afford an XRF for only occasional use, I have an arsenic testing kit of a more chemical nature; it takes about 10 minutes to get a result and results are analysed using a colour spot card graded in parts per billion, so really sensitive.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com