[Nhcoll-l] Safe handling and storage procedures for radioactive/radon gas bearing specimens

Janet Gillette jgillette at musnaz.org
Wed Jun 19 14:24:00 EDT 2019

Hi All,

The Museum of Northern Arizona (MNA) was recently awarded a collection improvement grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). In addition to funds to purchase new cabinetry for our paleontology collection, we also have support to work with an industrial hygienist to test for, and resolve potential health and safety issues.

We have a large collection of fossil vertebrates and petrified wood from the Triassic Chinle Fm. and Jurassic Kayenta Fm., both of which can be associated with elevated radioactivity and radon gas. As part of the project we'll develop safe handling and storage procedures for radioactive/radon gas bearing fossils.

Does anyone have written protocols that you would be willing to share? What precautions do you take? Do you have any advice re: personal protective equipment (PPE)? Note: we are in the process of purchasing dosimeters and have both radiation and radon detectors available.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or thoughts you could share. I'm happy to reciprocate and share what we learn as a result of our project.

Cheers,
Janet

Janet Whitmore Gillette
Natural Science Collections Manager