[Nhcoll-l] glass storage for fluid collections

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Mon Sep 9 04:43:29 EDT 2019

Dear Fabian, dear all,

don't want to expand this discussion too much; as John pointed out, just
that those jars are borosilicate jars doesn't render them necessarily a
good jar. The bottom and partially the walls surely are less than 1 mm
thick, and when we checked the jars here in the museum, it seemed that
the annealing was not properly done, as John already pointed out. The
threat on the jar is not continuous and especially in the tall jars the
walls near the neck tend to be thicker and continuously get thinner to
the bottom (likely because the hot glass melt is not evenly blown into
the form).

The prices for the taller jars (> 30 cm) are very close to the properly
done borosilicate (stopper jars and/or flanged cylinders) jars produced
by Stoelzle Oberglass or those done locally here from Schott glass
tubes. The Schott tubes are sold worldwide. Of course you will safe some
quids when purchasing the Vitro jars, but it might be worth considering
the long-term costs as well (replacement, topping up requirements,
increased monitoring, etc.). At the moment, many European collections
see or expect the end of the life span of the famous Copenhagen jars,
which causes massive problems across fluid collections in Europe, as
neither jars or lids can be replaced.

Purchasing 100 mm or 120 mm tall or 300 mm wide jars is not a problem,
and our budget line to purchase jars is rather small. So in the end, it
depends on the philosophy of individual collections, not that much on
the budget lines and availability of jars. The more collections tend to
compromise and accept lower standards, accept increased monitoring
requirements with simultaneous reduced budget lines for staff to do the
job, the more we will loose those companies which provide us with proper
jars that make our lives easier (as they drop out of business because
they can't - and don't want to - compete with Chinese quality standards.

The bulk of jars we use and need on daily basis is a cost-efficient
replacement anyway. The question is if we want to afford a little bit
more money for larger, well-manufactured jars, to safe costs in the long
run.

Cheers,
Dirk