[Nhcoll-l] October - November On-Line Courses -- Museum Studies LLC

Jeff Stephenson Jeff.Stephenson at dmns.org
Mon Sep 23 14:03:04 EDT 2019

Hello,
Please see below for a compendium of on-line courses in Museum Studies and Collections Management.  This list is provided by the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections Professional Development Committee as a monthly service for Nhcoll subscribers.  Please contact the course providers or instructors for more information or questions.
As a reminder, Nhcoll is not open for advertising by individuals; however, if you would like to have your courses appear in this compendium, please feel free to submit your offerings to jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>, and we'll see that you get in.
Thank you

>From Museum Study, LLC

Rights & Reproductions 2: Fair Use, Open Access, and More 4 week online course begins October 7 on MuseumStudy.com Rights and reproductions methodologies are seemingly ever-changing with new technologies, additional distribution avenues, evolving case law, applicable court decisions, and new legislation. Join Anne M. Young for the four week online course Rights & Reproductions 2: Fair Use, Open Access, and More. Participants will further investigate current trends in rights and reproductions practices at cultural institutions, through discussions of fair use / fair dealing guidelines and codes, Creative Commons and RightsStatements.org, Open Access and more.

For more information visit our website: http://bit.ly/2LewRyH

Assessing Risk to Cultural Property 2 course begins October 7 on MuseumStudy.com This course builds on the foundation instructor Robert Waller established in Assessing Risk to Cultural Property 1. We will explore challenges to quantifying risks and strategies for estimating rates of, and expected impacts of, sporadic incidents (type 2 risks) employing examples based on participant situations. Means of determining or estimating rates of progressive changes (type 3 risks) are provided and practiced. Finally, methods for presenting comprehensive, (semi-) quantitative risk profiles are demonstrated and employed by participants.

For more information visit our website: http://bit.ly/2JDGCH3

Practical Strategies for Emergency Response course begins October 14 on MuseumStudy.com The unpredictable impact of emergencies and disasters on cultural property can be minimized by training in Emergency Preparedness and response techniques. Join Rebecca Elder for this online course designed to develop knowledge and skills in emergency actions and salvage decision making. Students will increase their ability to respond and recover from disasters of all types and sizes. Class participants can be at any level of expertise.

For more information visit our website: http://bit.ly/34azPgy

Integrated Pest Management: The Plan and Implementation online course begins November 4 on MuseumStudy.com A written plan formalizes the IPM strategy and keeps management abreast of your status. It organizes your ideas and lays the groundwork for the needs of the collection and the building(s). It provides the direction in which you want to take the program, including grant funding and accreditation.

Join Carnegie Museum of Natural History Conservator Gretchen Anderson for this four week online course in which participants will learn how to apply IPM principles to their specific situation and institution. A draft plan and specific implementation strategies will be developed and discussed. Even though our institutions have different challenges the exchange of ideas presents the opportunity for us to help each other brainstorm solutions that will work for our situation.

For more information visit our website: http://bit.ly/2ztltcM

Interpretive Writing online course begins November 4 on MuseumStudy.com Join Professor John Veverka for the course Interpretive Writing. This 4 week online course, part of our series of interpretation courses, is a basic interpretive writing course designed to be a follow-up course for our Introduction to Heritage Interpretation course, and our other interpretation courses.  It will give participants an understanding of and skill in development of actual "interpretive" writing based on Tilden's Interpretive Principles.

For more information visit our website: http://bit.ly/2Uazu8K

--

Brad Bredehoft

CEO

Museum Study, LLC

www.MuseumStudy.com<http://www.MuseumStudy.com>

JEFF STEPHENSON
COLLECTIONS MANAGER, ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT

[DMNS 2 Line RGB small.jpg]<http://www.dmns.org/>
jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>
W  303.370.8319
F   303.331.6492
2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80205

preserve,<http://community.dmns.org/content/OnlineCommunity.aspx> present, inspire, explore
www.dmns.org

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD)<http://www.scfd.org/>.