[Nhcoll-l] Use of humidity

Thomas Labedz tlabedz1 at unl.edu
Thu Apr 2 18:07:37 EDT 2020

Tonya
For mis-shaped dried botanical specimens I've had good luck putting the specimen on paper towels that are on a piece of plastic. Then putting more paper towels on the leaves and wetting with deionized water and covering with another sheet of plastic. The whole set can go into a larger plastic bag folded shut. I'll let this set overnight, usually all that is required, and then putting the now hydrated specimens into a plant press and starting it over again.
For vertebrate specimens, small taxidermy, I'll use basically the same thought process but with less direct contact of the water. A humidity chamber for me is a large lidded plastic tub big enough to hold the specimen and a tray of clean wet sand. Putting the lid on then creates a humid environment that can relax the specimen after a few days, checking daily to be certain no mold growth is occurring. It might take several days before the specimen is minimally pliable. If deemed sturdy enough, limb joints could be wrapped loosely with cotton and cheesecloth with water applied directly. In the old days a few drops of phenol or other mold inhibitor would be added to the chamber. I don't do that.
For vertebrate study skins, particularly small mammals that I think will survive well this treatment, I'll submerge the entire skin in warm soapy water and leave it for a day. Checking occasionally and when pliable I'll undo the entire study skin except the wires in the feet and tail, rinse with fresh water, re-stuff the specimen with cotton and re-position properly after drying the fur with compressed air.
Good luck,
Write if you've got questions.
Thomas

Thomas E. Labedz, Collections Manager (tlabedz1 at unl.edu)
Division of Botany and Division of Zoology
University of Nebraska State Museum
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.A.