[Nhcoll-l] Digital objects vs. physical objects in collection management databases and how to manage them

Liath Appleton liathappleton at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 11:02:22 EDT 2020

I love this question! We've discussed this quite a bit around here. Since
most of our images are attached to individual specimens or as a group photo
of the entire lot, we do not make digital images a preparation on
their own. The reason being that if you pull a photo for publication, you
will want to know which individual is represented in the photo. If we pull
an individual specimen out of a lot to be photographed separately, we make
that specimen a separate prep and attach the image to it. We did toy around
with making some of our really nice, high res, images their own
preparations for tracking purposes. For example, if someone wanted to use
an image in a publication, we could "loan" the preparation, but it ended up
creating problems and ultimately it made more sense to just have a separate
prep for that particular specimen with its images attached. However, it is
possible in our database to have a digital-only preparation. If an imaged
specimen were to become lost or destroyed, the images associated with it
would remain as the preparation. So in a sense, that would be a
digital-only preparation. This is the case for a few of our specimens that
we haven't been able to find in our collections, but were photographed many
years ago. Hopefully, those specimens will eventually be found and reunited
with their images. In this case we have a preparation type "digital" to
make it clear for those doing a search that there is no physical specimen
to borrow. As to your question concerning counts, I'm not sure I have a
good answer for that one. I only include actual specimens when reporting
counts, however, in the future there could be a need for digital count. If
for instance there were a fire, and much of the physical collection were
destroyed, then the digital collection would become more important. This is
definitely something to think about. In this case, I would include my
preparations listed as digital-only in my count. The short answer is that
although I personally think of images as attachments, I do think it is
important to have a system in place for digital-only preparations in the
future. We don't know where technology will go next, and there may be
reasons to have separate preparations that we haven't currently
considered.---Liath

Liath Appleton
Collections Manager
Non-Vertebrate Paleontology Lab