[Nhcoll-l] Digital objects vs. physical objects in collection management databases and how to manage them

Schindel, David schindeld at si.edu
Tue Aug 25 11:09:24 EDT 2020

Hi, Andy,

We've had discussions about this in the Interagency Working Group on Scientific  Collections (IWGSC; see usfsc.nal.usda.gov).  If the digital representations of an object are not published, they would be archival material directly related to the specimen, and therefore part of the collection.  They would be equivalent to field notes, locality maps, audio and video recordings, etc.  lf they are submitted to a public database or other open access data repository (GenBank, CTBase, etc.) then these are publication events that can (and in a perfect world, would be) linked to the specimen record along with scholarly publications in which the specimen is cited.

In both cases, a comprehensively curated system of specimen digitization would allow users to discover and navigate to all these assets.

Best regards and stay well -

David

David E. Schindel, Research Associate
Office of the Provost