[Nhcoll-l] January - February 2021 On-Line Courses -- Museum Study LLC

Jeff Stephenson Jeff.Stephenson at dmns.org
Tue Dec 8 13:03:45 EST 2020

Hello,
Please see below for a compendium of on-line courses in Museum Studies and Collections Management.  This list is provided by the Society for the Preservation of Natural History Collections Professional Development Committee as a monthly service for nhcoll subscribers.  Please contact the course providers or instructors for more information or questions.
As a reminder, nhcoll is not open for advertising by individuals; however, if you would like to have your courses appear in this compendium, please feel free to submit your offerings to jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>, and we'll see that you get in.
Thank you

>From Museum Study, LLC

Collections Emergencies: Preparedness to Resilience 4 week online course begins January 4 on MuseumStudy.com Diverse hazards are threatening our cultural institutions and can quickly turn into emergencies or disasters. Do you feel comfortable using your emergency plan or responding to an emergency? Have you fully prepared for a response and a resilient recovery? Join Rebecca Kennedy of Curae Collections Care, LLC for the 4 week online course Collections

Emergencies: Preparedness to Resilience. This course will go beyond the basics of emergency planning and teach participants how to turn their plans into living documents that work in all emergency events. We will focus on practical skills to guide participants from preparedness through response, into recovery and finally to resiliency.

For more information visit our website:

http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/collections-emergencies-preparedness-to-resilience/

The Interpretive Exhibit Planners Toolbox course begins Jan 4 on MuseumStudy.com Guidelines and tools for planning and managing interpretive exhibit projects.

Join instructor John Veverka for this 4 week course designed for medium to small museums that may be doing most of their interpretive exhibits "in house". It provides a strategy to help them develop cost effective and "successful" interpretive exhibits (Provoke, Relate, Reveal) based on interpretive objectives and interpretive theme development and illustration.

For more information visit our website:

http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/the-interpretive-exhibit-planners-toolbox/

Writing K-12 Lesson Plans for Museums course begins February 1 on MuseumStudy.com This course is designed to teach museum educators how to develop and write formal lesson plans for K-12 programming.

Students will review a wide variety of K-12 lesson plans from different types of museums. Each week's lecture, chat, and assignment will be iterative, and students will end the course with a finished lesson plan that they can put into use at their museums.

Join Instructor Tara Young for this 4 week online professional development course.

For more information visit our website:

http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/writing-k-12-lesson-plans-for-museums/

Creating Exhibitions Through the Collective course begins February 1 on MuseumStudy.com Do you want to create an exhibit that utilizes your community?

If so, Creating Exhibitions through the Collective is for you. This class will be focused on community co-curation. We will investigate how community involvement during all stages of the exhibit development process can lead to more interpretation that is credible, community empowerment, and advocacy. Tips and strategies will be provided to build sustainable frameworks for this type of engagement.

Join Instructor Saul Sopoci Drake for this 4 week online professional development course.

For more information visit our website and view the instructor's video

introduction:

http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/creating-exhibitions-through-the-collective/

Managing Previously Unmanaged Collections online course begins Feb 1 on MuseumStudy.com Join instructor Angela Kipp for the 4 week online course Managing Previously Unmanaged Collections. Working with a previously unmanaged collection is one of the most challenging and rewarding projects in the career of a museum professional. Challenging because of the variety of issues like leaking roofs, missing documentation and the question as to whether there is actually a floor underneath those piles of objects.

Rewarding because of the variety of new discoveries and the skills that are learned, along with the satisfying feeling of getting things done.

The process of securing the collection and making it accessible needs the mindset of a collections manager as well as the one of a project manager. This 4 week course helps you to get a grip on your unmanaged collection by developing a plan to tackle it, defining achievable goals by creating logical exits and finding ways to keep the project going even if you are limited in time, staff and money.

For more information visit our website:

http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/managing-previously-unmanaged-collections/

Interpretive Writing online course begins February 1 on MuseumStudy.com Join Professor John Veverka for the course Interpretive Writing. This 4 week online course, part of our series of interpretation courses, is a basic interpretive writing course designed to be a follow-up course for our Introduction to Heritage Interpretation course, and our other interpretation courses.  It will give participants an understanding of and skill in development of actual "interpretive" writing based on Tilden's Interpretive Principles.

For more information visit our website:

http://www.museumstudy.com/courses/course-list/interpretive-writing/

--

Brad Bredehoft

CEO

Museum Study, LLC

www.MuseumStudy.com<http://www.MuseumStudy.com>

JEFF STEPHENSON
COLLECTIONS MANAGER, ZOOLOGY DEPARTMENT

[DMNS 2 Line RGB small.jpg]<http://www.dmns.org/>
jeff.stephenson at dmns.org<mailto:jeff.stephenson at dmns.org>
W  303.370.8319
F   303.331.6492
2001 Colorado Blvd., Denver CO 80205

preserve,<http://community.dmns.org/content/OnlineCommunity.aspx> present, inspire, explore
www.dmns.org

The Denver Museum of Nature & Science salutes the citizens of metro Denver for helping fund arts, culture and science through their support of the Scientific and Cultural Facilities District (SCFD)<http://www.scfd.org/>.