[Nhcoll-l] COVID vaccine storage in biological collections facilities

Bentley, Andrew Charles abentley at ku.edu
Tue Dec 8 14:49:39 EST 2020

Hi all

I am interested in knowing if anyone has been contacted by federal, state or local authorities about the possibility of storing COVID vaccine in cryogenic facilities associated with biological collections.  It is apparent that cold storage capacity may become an issue for the Pfizer vaccine and maybe others and that the collections community may be in a position to assist in this regard for the good of the communities we reside in.  This may also be a great opportunity for us to also showcase the work that we do and the value of our collections to mitigating human health issues such as pandemics and the value of collections in general.

The Biodiversity Collections Network (BCoN) along with AIBS and NSCA are potentially interested in being proactive about contacting these agencies to offer our support but it would be interesting to know in advance if contact has been made and by whom.

Thanks

Andy

     A  :                A  :               A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
     V                   V                  V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561
USA

Tel: (785) 864-3863
Fax: (785) 864-5335
Email: abentley at ku.edu<mailto:abentley at ku.edu>
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>

     A  :                A  :                A  :
     V                   V                   V