[Nhcoll-l] Labeling Latex Casts

Andrea Blaser arblaser at umich.edu
Mon Feb 17 09:30:27 EST 2020

Hello all,

Our division recently accepted a large donation of primate and human
ancestor endocasts, made mostly in the 1980's. Most of them are made from a
very thin, latex-like material stuffed with cotton, and in many cases the
latex is covered with a metallic gold paint which has started to flake and
peel. Having nothing similar to these in our collections currently, we're
looking for ways to label the objects that won't further damage them or
react to the latex or paint. We've received one recommendation to use
printed labels adhered with Jade 403N and 5% Methylcellulose in deionized
water but given the nature of these casts we are unsure.
Any recommendations for labelling [or not!] objects of this sort would be
greatly appreciated!

Best,
Andrea Blaser
Collections Manager
University of Michigan Museum of Anthropological Archaeology
Research Museums Center
3600 Varsity Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48108
arblaser at umich.edu <jmmoss at umich.edu>