[Nhcoll-l] Question about jar grease in fluid collections

Dirk Neumann neumann at snsb.de
Thu Feb 27 09:47:10 EST 2020

Hi Esther,

vaseline has few disadvantages
1. it tends to flow inside the jar (especially if you need to close
uneven battery jars etc. with increased amounts of vaseline to produce a
proper seal)
2. it tends to attract additional moisture evaporating from inside the
jar (turning the jelly glossy - usually a good indicator when it slowly
starts running)
3. it sometimes may get backed (might be linked with low RH values
inside storage).

We changed around 2000 to a silicon-free vacuum joint grease called
Alsirol with good results. It is produced from a small company in
Bamberg, Germany and formerly was also distributed (at least in Germany)
via VWR, FisherScientific apparently is also offering it
https://www.fishersci.de/shop/products/joint-grease-1/10130201

But you can also contact and order directly http://www.poellath-labor.de/

The containers are rather small (only 50 ml), but Alsirol is very
economic and you only need little to produce a proper closure (too much
in fact even is disadvantageous). As it is very greasy and stable, it is
possible to build it up on uneven flanges or battery jars.

Hope this helps, with best wishes
Dirk

Am 27.02.2020 um 15:32 schrieb Esther Dondorp:
> Dear all,
>
> Just a short question - we always use vaseline to seal gound jar
> stoppers, now that we cannot use our old supplier anymore the support
> department ordered the commercial vaseline petroleum jelly likethis
> <https://www.drogisterij.net/verzorging/lichaamsverzorging/lichaamsverzorging-verzorging/creme/vaseline-petroleum-jelly-original-42182634?partnercode=222&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiOnM3_fx5wIVWeN3Ch1X_wOHEAQYASABEgJTI_D_BwE>
> one. I was wondering if we can use it or that it has additional
> additives that can effect the balance inside the jar. Is there an acid
> free or other alternative? Wondering what other people use!
>
> Many thanks,
>

> Esther Dondorp
> Senior Collectiebeheerder
>

> _+31717519313 - -
> _esther.dondorp at naturalis.nl <mailto:esther.dondorp at naturalis.nl> -
> www.naturalis.nl <https://www.naturalis.nl>
> _Darwinweg 2, 2333 CR Leiden
> _Postbus 9517, 2300 RA Leiden
>
> <https://www.naturalis.nl/lang-leve>

Dirk Neumann

Tel: 089 / 8107-111
Fax: 089 / 8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

Postanschrift:

Staatliche Naturwissenschaftliche Sammlungen Bayerns
Zoologische Staatssammlung München
Dirk Neumann, Sektion Ichthyologie / DNA-Storage
Münchhausenstr. 21
81247 München

Besuchen Sie unsere Sammlung:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/

---------

Dirk Neumann

Tel: +49-89-8107-111
Fax: +49-89-8107-300
neumann(a)snsb.de

postal address:

Bavarian Natural History Collections
The Bavarian State Collection of Zoology
Dirk Neumann, Section Ichthyology / DNA-Storage
Muenchhausenstr. 21
81247 Munich (Germany)

Visit our section at:
http://www.zsm.mwn.de/sektion/ichthyologie-home/