[Nhcoll-l] Question about jar grease in fluid collections

Neisskenwirth, Fabian Fabian.Neisskenwirth at ruhrmuseum.de
Tue Mar 3 04:08:40 EST 2020

Dear Esther,

Sorry for the late answer.

It seems that there is no real study about the effects of Vaseline sealing’s… It all comes from experience. So here I can share mine.

For the projects I was working on in Bern (about 4000 Jars) I used the Vaseline you asked about, its  medical quality, like Joachim suggested.

I use heated stoppers to close the jars (at around 70-90 °C, depending on the size), so after cooling down they build up a little vacuum in the jar that helps for a much better sealing. The Vaseline spreads evenly on all the surface of the grounding on the stopper so it’s very easy to see if its seal is tight. If the stopper is not fitting, don’t use it… it’s never going to make a good seal, specially on old Jars.

This is why I don’t use Alrisol, it does not spread with heat, and yes, it is pretty expensive. But if you close the jars without heat it makes a great sealing, like Dirk said. And has a much better adhesion that pure Vaseline, finally it was developed exactly for this purpose.

So I would rather point out that it depends on the sealing method you are using.

Hope this helps you.

Greeting from Essen,

--
Fabian Neisskenwirth