[Nhcoll-l] Tiger rug advice

Sullivan, Steven sulliv55 at miamioh.edu
Fri Oct 23 10:57:34 EDT 2020

A community member has approached us with a vintage tiger rug in very poor
condition.  I do not intend to accept it.  The damage is extensive enough
that it is not suitable for display.  For something in this condition, I
would normally recommend destruction.  However, given its age (earlier than
1940) and species, I wonder if anyone is aware of research that could use
such a specimen?  I am aware of, and have dealt with, the various
challenges in transferring ownership of tigers, but if there is a
productive use for the specimen, I would like to help facilitate that.

I can imagine biological conservation work that uses stable isotopes or
similar methods might benefit from hairs or other small portions.  Perhaps
historical analysis, too, since the specimen seems to have been acquired as
a middle-market retail decor item, not as a hunting trophy.  The head is
excelsior, open mouth components artificial, no paws, and skinning mistakes
were repaired with leopard skin as part of mounting.  I don't think it has
any value in re-mounting, though it might have limited value in repair of a
damaged specimen.  Thanks for any leads and, of course, if anything seems
promising, USFWS will be involved before transfer of anything is initiated.

--Steve

--

<http://miamioh.edu/>

Steven M. Sullivan

Director | Hefner Museum of Natural History
<http://miamioh.edu/cas/academics/centers/hefner-museum/>

Miami University

100 Upham Hall

100 Bishop Circle

Oxford, OH 45056

Museum: 513-529-4617

Cell: 708-937-6253

The Museum is open to the public weekdays 9-4, free admission

*Connecting you to the nature in your neighborhood...and the world.*

The Hefner Museum recognizes the Myaamia and Shawnee people who, along with
other indigenous groups, were the first stewards of this land's
biodiversity. http://miamioh.edu/diversity-inclusion/land/index.html