[Nhcoll-l] DEADLINE EXTENDED to submit SPNHC abstract about digitized specimen data

Diana Soteropoulos Diana.Soteropoulos at arkansas.gov
Fri Oct 23 15:51:55 EDT 2020

The deadline to submit abstracts for the Society of Preservation for Natural History Collections (SPNHC) conference in Jacksonville, FL on May 11-15, 2021 has been extended to Wed., November 11. If you were interested in submitting an abstract for our symposium, "Digitized specimen data use by non-academic and non-museum agencies," it's not too late!
Here's the description of our symposium:
The utility of digitized natural history specimen data extends beyond universities and public or private museums to non-academic and non-museum agencies such as state and national parks, state conservation agencies, and natural heritage programs. This symposium will cover aspects of how these agencies use digitized collections data, including finding historical distributions of (rare) species at a county-level; searching for specimens from a specified area, such as a National Park or state boundary; describing new species; and identifying areas for conservation, preservation, or restoration. While digitized data are searchable online, many agencies also build connections with academic and museum collections to access the specimens for study, deposit new specimen collections, or collaborate. Audience members should find this symposium engaging no matter the type of institution of employment, as we intend for an exchange of ideas among universities and museums with these non-museum agencies. The location of the SPNHC 2021 meeting is well-suited for many prospective presenters from state heritage programs, the U.S. National Park Service, the U.S. Forest Service, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and the academic and museum collections which work with these groups.
If you'd like to submit an abstract, please email diana.soteropoulos at arkansas.gov<mailto:diana.soteropoulos at arkansas.gov> the following information:
Name and affiliation for each author
Email address for main presenter
An abstract of up to 500 words
A bio of up to 300 words for main presenter
Let us know if you have any questions about this symposium, and we hope to see you at SPNHC 2021!
Sincerely,

DIANA SOTEROPOULOS
Botanist / Arkansas Herbarium Digitization Coordinator

Arkansas Natural Heritage Commission
1100 North Street
Little Rock, AR 72201
diana.soteropoulos at arkansas.gov<mailto:diana.soteropoulos at arkansas.gov>