[Nhcoll-l] Mold in our bird collection

Simon Moore couteaufin at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 15 18:00:04 EDT 2020

It does seem odd to experience a mould outbreak at such low pH, normally upwards of 55/60%.  The method I use to clean is using a soft brush with a broad spread of bristles, dipped in ethanol; make sure that the fungal growth is removed on the brush, wipe off the brush and repeat.  For smaller areas of mould I use cotton swabs dipped in ethanol.

With all good wishes, Simon.

Simon Moore MIScT, RSci, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural Sciences and Cutlery Historian,

www.natural-history-conservation.com