[Nhcoll-l] verbatimLabel DarwinCore Field Addition

Gali Beiner gali.beiner at mail.huji.ac.il
Tue Apr 20 14:53:27 EDT 2021

This is a very interesting discussion. Many factors contribute to the wider
picture, so I'm just giving my point of view:

Here in the Levant in general and in Israel in particular, the situation is
further complicated by the great changes in geographical environment, in
levels of urbanization and in density of population over time, plus the
fact that place names often received and still may receive different
spellings (both in Hebrew and in Arabic. Our languages are spelled with
consonants rather than with vowels - which is one reason why different
spellings occur and why different transitions into Latin spelling also
happen). Place names also may have changed considerably. This, plus the
usual differences in format, levels of information etc.  lead to high
variation in label info.

This actually makes the verbatim label very important - interpretations can
go wrong, identification of localities and sometimes names of people can be
mistaken. Typing or scanning/photographing the original therefore gains
importance, alongside entering the requisite "corrections" that make a
database useful to current day users (say, for creating productive
geographical searches). Obviously, this sort of recording is very time
consuming and labor intensive, but ultimately it helps preserve specimen
information and even helps preserve historical aspects of natural history
collections.

It is a good question whether a scan or photo is enough to preserve this
kind of info. Since we are not yet at the point where (often handwritten)
texts within images can be easily and reliably searched, I'm currently
still in favor of adding the verbatim info into a database.

Best wishes,
Gali